Tuesday, September 4, 2007

My first days in Italy!

Well I’ve finally made it! After an exhausting and sleepless flight I touched down in Italy. The land is much more flat than I was imagining and it almost reminds me of Eastern Washington except for the fact that it has all these amazing little Italian villages that you can’t compare to anything in Washington. There is about 35 students in both programs and I think I am only 1 of maybe 3 or so that are above the age of 22. It’ll be strange to try and get used to hanging out with so many younger students when almost all of my friends from back home are older than I am.
The town is so amazing. I have yet to meet more than one or two people that speak more than maybe 5 or 6 English words which has made it interesting but fun to try to buy or order anything. I will definitely be able to practice all the Italian I want while I’m here because English will not get me vary far.
My apartment is nice but almost too American. I share a one-bedroom apartment with Krissy from Chicago. We have almost everything you would normally find in an apartment except for there is no oven in the kitchen. It’s really weird that there is no oven and will make some things a little more difficult but I’m sure I will survive. I guess I won’t be cooking any frozen pizzas while I’m here (and yes you can buy them at the supermarket.) Attached to the apartment building is a mall. It has a large supermarket in it that gives Safeway a run for their money. There is also a 1 euro store, or dollar store, a 10 screen movie theater, arcade with a pool table (YAY!) a few restaurants/cafes and some clothing stores. It’s nice to have everything so close but it makes me feel more like I’m in the US than I am in Italy. Hopefully I’ll be spending more time in the town than I will be here. The apartment building is located just outside the city walls and about a 15-minute walk from the city center.
I have finally gotten a bike and it was pretty amusing to see me ride it for the first time. I don’t remember the last time that I had ridden a bike but like they say I still remembered how to do it! It’s funny because in Portland I hate the bicyclists and here I am turning into one of them. Luckily there are fewer cars than there are in Portland but way more people to try and maneuver around when riding down the streets. I’m sure I’ll either run someone over or be run over before the year is done J

Some side comments –

Men’s fashion: Well it’s pretty funny but a lot of men in Italy wear Capri pants and they are usually a very bright color such as red or blue. If they aren’t wearing capris then you will find a lot of them wear skinny jeans (really tight all through the legs.) Also you will find many men carry/wear a fanny pack. Who would have ever guessed that those would make a come back but they are everywhere!

Music: Almost every store, restaurant or bar plays American music. I heard The Fray the other day and I found that to be extremely odd.

Public toilets: You will never find toilet seat covers in a public bathroom here and you’re really lucky if there is even a toilet seat. There are rumors that some of the public bathrooms just have holes in the ground with places to put your feet when you squat but thankfully I have yet to find those ones!

Public displays of affection: It is everywhere! Italians are not shy when it comes to kissing each other in public! They also hold hands differently than what I’m used to. Instead of having all of their fingers entwined they usually just hold on to one or two fingers or just clasp their hands together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelsey Kelsey Kelsey! I love you I love you I love you! I hope you are having a great time. By the way, if you do become a bicyclist, there is NOO way that I'm going to ride from here to Portland. I hope you enjoy yourself thoroughly. I had this typed by myself, but the internet gave out so Mom wrote it for me. can't wait to hear from you.
Brandon

Anonymous said...

Love you! Keep the post coming and take more pictures!
You're missing out on a pretty nice September here in the Northwest, sunny and low 80s. Bet you wish you were here ;)