Monday, November 26, 2007

Dates With Venetians

Last Thursday Emma was in Venice with her sister and while they were eating at this amazing restaurant she started flirting with the waiter. After talking with him and his buddies for a while she gives him her number. When her and Katie get back to Ferrara Emma informs me that we have dates for Saturday night with these guys she met. Since I didn’t have any big plans for Saturday I figured why not go to Venice for the night! We left Ferrara at 7:30 and let him know that we’d get into Venice around 9pm. This whole time Emma’s been telling me how her guy is sort of cute but the other guy (my guy) is really, really good looking. So of course I was pretty excited to meet him J Well we get to Venice and there waiting for us was the waiter that she had met and man was he cute and since Emma said my guy was cuter I couldn’t wait to meet him! We had to wait for my guy for about 10 minutes and it was a little awkward talking to the other one since we didn’t really know him or anything. Well, my guy finally shows up and it’s not who Emma had met before and he was not cute, at all! Oh well I figured I was just being Emma’s wingman anyways…
We went out for Spritz (I don’t really know how to explain what it tastes like but it’s really good and very common to drink over here) and then afterwards off to the restaurant for dinner. The one nice thing about my guy was that he was pretty talkative so it helped ease the tension and all of that. Ok so we go to this little restaurant (we couldn’t go to the one where he works because he was skipping work for our dates) and it was really cute! We sit down and of course Emma and I really have no clue what to order because they don’t just order one plate it’s always at least 3 or 4 courses but luckily they ordered for us! In the States I don’t think I would have liked that but here it was kind of cute! Our first course was a mixed seafood plate with clams, mussels, shrimp, octopus with the little sucky tentacle things on them still and sardines. It was all actually pretty good but I probably wouldn’t have tried the last two had I not felt like it would have been rude. Next came a delicious spaghetti plate with mussels! And finally we had flounder and prawns. It was funny because before they cooked the fish they brought it out and showed it to us to make sure we thought it was ok! The flounder was brought out on a big platter and the waiter sliced it up and served it to us right there and the prawns were grilled and still in their shell but WOW they were the best thing I think I’ve ever tasted! I wish that I would have been able to take pictures of all of it but I think that would have been a little tacky on a date, lol! After desert and coffee it was off for more touring. Oh and by the way they spent 200 euro on this meal, that’s about $300! This was the first time I’ve been to Venice so they showed me some of the main stuff and told us some neat little insider tips that you would only get from having a tour by a local. I felt pretty privileged at this point.
After touring we went out for some more drinks and it made me really want to live in Venice because they have such a great night scene! Then it was off to the disco. It was pretty cool and very hip and trendy but here is where the night went downhill! Emma and her guy were having a good time making out while I was stuck trying to fend off my guy. At first I thought he was really nice and kind of funny but after sitting there for an hour pushing him off of me so that I wouldn’t have to kiss him I didn’t find him so nice or funny anymore, lol! Emma realized what was happening and suggested that we all go dancing! I thought this was a great idea until he started dancing and WOW did he suck! Oh man it was really bad and I wish I could describe how he danced but there really is no words to describe it…

We danced until just after 2 am when Emma and I realized it was time to go back to catch the train. The whole way to the train station my guy kept asking me why we weren’t staying at their place! Seriously did he think I was going to sleep with him! No joke, he asked me no less than 20 times on the way to the train station why we weren’t staying! Well before we left Ferrara we checked online and then again at the ticket booths what time the trains going back to Ferrara left at. Well there was supposed to be one scheduled to leave at 3:30 which was perfect, but for some reason we go to the train station and it’s closed and says the first train leaving is at 5:15 am!!!! Two things on this, first I’ve spent (unfortunately) many nights at train stations and I’ve never seen one close and second we checked 2 places that both said there was a 3:30 train! I was not impressed at all with this! Well having no other choice we went back to their flat because, well, we had nowhere to go and it’s the middle of the night. So we go back to their place which was actually really cute! We, meaning me, Emma and her guy, thankfully my guy finally got the hint and just went to bed, watched the stupidest movie (Cube Zero) until 4:30am when we walked back to the train station. We arrived back in Ferrara at 7:30 am exactly 12 hours after we departed for our dates in Venice!

One last note: I’m sure you’ve noticed how I only referred to them as my guy or Emma’s guy and I did that on purpose because their names are by far, I think, the best part. Emma’s guys name was Denis (not Italian at all!) but we call him Denis from Venice because it’s so funny that it rhymes, lol! Ok and are you ready for what my guys name was…

wait for it…

wait for it….

Bobo (enough said!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bobo - You have got to be kidding me!!! Love the play by play of the night!! Am so glad I had a hand in setting this up:) Hey - at least you had a good meal out of it. Is my sister in love or what??!
~Katie