When I first met my new Italian family one of the first questions that my host mom asked was if I knew how to make pancakes. So either that first or second weekend that I was here I made them pancakes for a good ol’ American breakfast. It was a lot of fun and we agreed to do it again. Well in the mean time I had asked Nicole to send me a bottle of syrup because Italians don’t know really what it is and don’t carry it in the grocery stores. But once the bottle of syrup arrived we were all kind of busy and the pancakes never really happened again until both Paola and I realized that I only had a week or so left and that we needed to have pancakes one last time. We set up a date for Sunday morning but when it came time to make them we realized that we were out of milk. So we were trying to find out when we would be able to make them again and came up with having them for dessert after dinner on Monday and this was when I told her that sometimes in America we’ll have breakfast for dinner so it wouldn’t be that strange to have the pancakes. I’m not sure if she was going off of my comment or not but for dinner on Monday we had scrambled eggs (the first time I’ve had them here) plain rice, asparagus and then of course the pancakes for dessert, lol! It was a very strange meal!
As my time here draws to an end I am finding that I’m starting to become nostalgic and that it is truly going to be difficult to leave. Today I gave my host mom a plant and some chocolates from the most amazing chocolate store as a thank you for everything. She had actually gotten me a gift as well and it’s this really cool book that is all about the castle that is here in Ferrara. We then had a really, really good talk about how wonderful the last few months have been and she kept saying that she was really going to miss me and that she loved having me live here. It was so sweet and it’s making it even harder for me to leave! But we did exchange emails and I will keep in touch with her!
Tomorrow is the final aperitivo (before dinner drinks/snacks) with the whole group plus all of our teachers and host families. I’m looking forward to it, partly because there will be free alcohol, but at the same time I have to say my goodbyes which I feel are going to be much harder this time around. It’s not that I’m going to miss this group anymore than I miss the last but that this time it’s my turn to say goodbye to Ferrara…
I do get the opportunity to show my town to my sister though as she arrives on Friday. We spend a day or two here and one in Venice then it’s off to Lake Como and the Cinque Terre. Then it’s back to Ferrara for a night so that I can pick up ALL of my luggage (I have acquired quite a bit since I first arrived in August) and then down to Rome for my final two days in Italia.
Well this will probably be it as far as blogs go. Sorry that there were not more of them but I hope that you guys have enjoyed the ones that are posted.
See you all soon!!!!
Ciao,
Kelsey
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment