Sunday, January 20, 2008

When in Rome...do I have to eat peas???

Last week I moved in with an Italian family. I had briefly met them before Christmas so I feel that made the move a little easier but really how easy is it to move in with a family you don't really know, especially since I don't really know their language either. Anyways my new family is amazing! There are some downside to living with a family but for the most part it's a pretty good setup. Ok so who are they???

The mom in the family, Paola, is very, very nice. She works in the Castello Estense but I'm not quite certain exactly what she does there. Either way wouldn't it be cool to say that you went to work everyday in a castle??? She speaks some English which I think has made the transition a lot easier.

There is also the dad, I couldn't quite catch what his name was when we were introduced and his position in the family I'm still not clear on. I know that he is the father of my new little brother but not my new sister. He does not live in the house and he works at night, again doing what I have no clue. I'll make sure to post an update once I know a little more but as of right now this is all I know about him. But either way the few times that I have seen him he has always been very nice to me.

The daughter, Diletta, is 18 and also very, very nice! The first night I moved in she took me out with her and her boyfriend and it was a lot of fun. They actually took me to play pool!!!! They had no idea that I loved to play so it was quite the coincidence!

The little boy, Giorgio, is about 6 or 7 and boy does he have a lot of energy. He can be really sweet but also quite annoying but I guess that goes along with the age.

My new house is amazing!!! It's in town which I cannot even express how wonderful that is alone but the best part is that it is only 2 blocks from my language school. It is a part of an apartment complex but you can't really tell. It is two stories and pretty modern in decorations but still has some old qualities to it. For example in the dining room there are still the original doors, pretty impressive since it was built during the Renaissance. I have a room downstairs next to the daughters and it's ok but not anything special. They are in the process of building a bathroom downstairs and when that is done it'll be so nice. It's supposed to be finished next week but in Italy that really means in about a month or two.

The other amazing part about living with a family is the food! Paola is an excellent cook and it's so nice to have my meals prepared for me instead of me having to cook something, lol! Every morning I wake up and there is coffee made and some bread with Nutella, can't really get much better than that!

Now I'm sure that you are wondering about the title of this blog because really what does eating peas have to do with my new home...Well like I said before Paola is an amazing cook and by living here I've been able to try some amazing new Italian dishes that I never new existed BUT there is also some downsides to that. On Wednesday she was getting ready to make dinner and she asked me if I like seafood and of course anyone that knows me should know that I LOVE seafood, so I was very excited for dinner especially after she started cooking it and the house started smelling so delicious. We sat down at the table and she dishes up my plate and serves it to me and it took every inch of will power not to start gagging. On my plate was not only the squid, which I really do love, but also there was a MOUND of peas!!!!! Now when I say a mound I mean my WHOLE plate was filled with them with a little bit of squid mixed into it. I HATE PEAS and sitting before me was a least a whole can of them!!!!! Being new in the house I couldn't just say "hey I don't like peas can I have something else," no I had to eat them and eat them without letting them know that I didn't like it!!!!! It was the hardest thing I've had to do since moving to Italy, lol!!! But I decided that it is karma because that same day for class we had to create some sentences using some new words that we were working on and no joke this is the sentence that I created "I piselli sono molti cattivi" - Peas are VERY disgusting....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahhh peas! and your breakfast sounds amazing lady... i want coffee and nutella everyday please. when i wake up.